The City of Pearland is reminding residents about the upcoming Hurricane Season and urging individuals to start preparing now for possible storms. Hurricane Season begins June 1 and continues through Nov. 30.
“Hurricanes and tropical storms can wreak havoc on the lives of residents in a storm’s path. Since early planning and preparation can greatly increase the protection of life and property, residents should begin taking precautions now,” said Pearland Emergency Management Coordinator Roland Garcia.
Preparedness is the key to protecting Pearland residents and property. By doing so, residents ensure that they will survive if a hurricane threatens the Pearland area. By knowing areas of vulnerability and what actions to take, citizens will be prepared in the event of an emergency.
• Here are some measures residents can take now to prepare for potential storms:
• Assemble an emergency kit that includes essential documents, supplies and provisions.
• Review hurricane evacuation maps, and select a route for you and your family.
• Plan how all family members and pets will evacuate safely.
• Consider any special needs for individuals with disabilities or the elderly.
• Stay informed about changing weather conditions in and around your area.
To stay updated on the latest weather news, residents should sign up to receive emergency alerts at cityofpearland.com/alerts, monitor the local media and watch these Web sites:
•For tips on regional disaster preparedness: cityofpearland.com/stormready or readyhoustontx.gov
•Register in advance, before a storm is in the Gulf, for transportation assistance by dialing 2-1-1
•For ideas on developing emergency plans and supply kits: texasprepares.org
•To catch the latest weather information, check the National Weather Service Web site: nws.noaa.gov
•The Texas Department of Transportation's Hurricane Information Web site has information on road conditions during or after a storm: txdot.gov